Sunday, June 7, 2009

Well, Cassie...I've been thinking

Who is silly enough to sleep in some of the places where you've been known to sleep? Then again, who is the silly person who gave you access to these places?

Well, to get back to what I've been thinking! You've been sleeping most of the day because you didn't feel well last night, but you ate this morning and went out on the deck. I've been correcting papers and more papers, plus I've been thinking - thinking about how it all began.

Growing up I spent much of my life living in a zoo with my grandma and grandpa. We had canaries, homing pigeons, a feral cat colony, a big pool filled with gold fish, a dog named Dixie and my kitten Fluffy.

Every time I take you to hospital I have you wrapped in your favorite blanket. People always comment on how sweet you look in the blanket. I'm afraid that you'll get cold because you're thin and frail now. How did it all begin?

One cold and raw winter day over 60 years ago Grandpa and I took Dixie to hospital to be spayed. In the early evening we went back to pick her up. I was all bundled up in my snow suit and mittens. Grandpa had on his heavy overcoat and hat. When they brought Dixie out to us Grandpa took off his coat and wrapped Dixie in it. We walked home, which was about 10 blocks away, with Grandpa in his shirt sleeves, seemingly not minding the cold, but just concerned that Dixie was warm and comfortable.

Kitty, I do believe that's where it all began .... this caring for and taking care of.

Eat your supper Kitty Kit Kit and sleep well tonight.

Love and head butts,

Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment