Friday, February 12, 2010

Hello my angel!

Farewell my darling!
Cassie passed peacefully on my lap by the window in the sunlight a short time ago. The spirit wanted to remain by me, but the body was frail. Her veins were so small that it was difficult to insert the catheter initially, but she finally drifted off. I held her for a long time afterward and then gave her wrapped in her blanket to Dianne to take to hospital.

I have been blessed to have kind and empathetic people in my life who helped me immeasurably this morning. For Dianne and Debbie to come to the house on their day off, was more than a gesture of kindness. They've known me long enough to realize that I just couldn't bear one more trip to the bereavement room at the vet hospital.

Herman, thank you for making the tea and for understanding and thanks for taking one last photo of Kitty and me before we said adieu to each other.

Yes, the unexamined life is not worth living to me. I don't know if it's the philosophy teacher in me or the recent conversations of late, but Socrates has been keeping close company with me. Albeit, the dialogue that has taken place over the past few weeks seems to have been mainly between Socrates and me, with no third party to mediate or question. On a lighter note, there's a widely held opinion that those who talk to themselves may be suspect! Don't worry dear reader as I don't talk out loud - usually! (said with a wink)

So my darling kitty, kit, you and Socrates have provided so many opportunities for me to examine and reflect upon my life. The treasured gift Kit, has been through your leaving. In this instance, after all of the reflection, desire to take the action that was morally and ethically right, I do not struggle with my decision, as I have in the past. I have a broken heart, but do have peace with my decision to help you put on your angel wings so that you can soar high without the burdens of pain.

I do know that we'll meet again my darling Kitty, Kit.

Until that time, here's a head butt and a mrrr, just for you!

Love,
Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment