Friday, February 12, 2010

Farewell weary little traveler

It's 7:16 on Friday morning. Dianne and Debbie will arrive to release my darling at 9:30. Strange though it may seem to the reader, I'm glad I've got this blogging thing! Many things seem to escape my memory at times like this, plus writing seems to be the natural way for me to emote.

Our last night was good and peaceful. Cassie loved being wrapped up in her snuggle bear blanket where she purred like a steam engine next to me for several hours. The number of times that we've done that over the past 15 years must be in the thousands. In the beginning it was because she was so fragile and required around the clock care. Then she gravitated to my pillow (despite the fact that she had hers right next to me on the bed) where she slept curled around my head. It was akin to wearing a fur hat with a raccoon tail to bed and, frequently really hot in the summer. She was persistent. When Cass became ill almost two years ago, we went back to the swaddling practice as that's what seemed to give her comfort.

Last night before bed, there were no more pills and no more injections - just a big bowl of kitty junk food (aka Fancy Feast) with no added fiber or probiotics. Ah, freedom! It felt good, huh Kit? But Kit you became ill at 3:00 a.m. again and as usual we got up, tended to things and then went back to bed. Yes, I do know that you can't get better even though as I sit here at the keyboard you're mrrring and head butting me.

I love you and I told you so again for the 10 millionth time when you woke up this morning. I told you that I love, love, love you and that I always will. I thanked you for being my teacher and my guide. I thanked you for the beauty that you brought into my life. I told you not to be afraid when Dianne comes. I asked you to go gently to your place of rest. You looked right into my eyes without averting your gaze or blinking during all the time that I spoke with you. I know that you understood. Kit, you've finally been successful in helping me transition through something that I've never been able to handle with grace in the past. Thank you for this lesson.

It's time for me to stop crying and go to take a shower. Stay there on top of my sweater purring until I return and then you and I will spend some more time together until it's time for us to part.

Love and mrrrs,

Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment